Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): The Forum in Hemel Hempstead and civic offices in Tring and Berkhamsted are now closed to the public. Our online services remain available and we urge customers to use this facility. If your enquiry cannot be answered via our website, please email customer.services@dacorum.gov.uk or call 01442 228000. Please only contact us for essential/urgent enquiries. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for tenants and leaseholders

How are you protecting staff and tenants from coronavirus?

Due to the Government’s guidance to undertake only essential travel, our Officers will not be doing home visits or face-to-face meetings with tenants, with the exception of priority health and safety checks. If we are due to visit you, please get in touch with us if anyone in your home is in a high-risk category and currently self-isolating or has any symptoms (high temperature and/or cough).

As a consequence of this, we are currently not accepting new Mutual Exchange requests or visiting you as part of your Introductory or Flexible tenancies. Your Housing Officer will contact you to discuss this over the phone.

If you need to contact your Income, Tenancy or Sustainment Officer, please do not visit the Forum or our other offices. Instead, please contact us by email, text message or a phone call. This will protect you and our staff from unnecessary risk of infection and ensures that we comply with Government advice.

Please also remember to keep communal areas and landings free of items. This is to reduce the risk to you and your neighbours, and we will still be carrying out inspections.

Our cleaners are prioritising cleaning of communal areas of sheltered schemes and temporary accommodation but will also continue to clean communal areas in flats. They will be focusing on cleaning any touchpoints and especially entry/exits to the building with antibacterial spray or wipes. Please follow Government advice to wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or more.

What if my income changes and I’m worried about paying my rent?

If your income has reduced and you think you might struggle to pay your rent, please contact us as soon as possible. We have a number of teams at Dacorum who are here to help and give advice based on your circumstances.

To offer you reassurance in this difficult time, we will not make any applications to court during this period. If you tell us that you are struggling because of the effects caused by the coronavirus and you are working with us, we will not take action should you fall into arrears.

We understand you may have lots of questions about any benefits or grants you may be able to access and we are gathering information so your Income Officer can give advice or signpost you to other organisations who can help with this.

Can I still contact my Housing Officer if I have a question about my tenancy? 

Yes, your Housing Officers are still here to help. More of them will be working remotely but they can pick up emails and take phone calls to their usual extension numbers. They will still be able to deal with changes to your tenancy, reports about anti-social behaviour, tenancy terminations and other services but we may ask you to email details, photos or logs to us and speak to you over the phone instead of visiting you in person.

I’m supported by a Sustainment Officer, will they still visit me?

Your Sustainment Officer will be at the end of a phone or email and will continue to support you in all areas they can. They will only visit you in exceptional circumstances and we ask you consider the social-distancing guidelines and help our staff to do this, too. Your Sustainment Officer will be checking in with you more regularly but please don’t hesitate to contact them by phone or email if you need something in the meantime.

How can I help?

  • Contact us by email or telephone rather than asking for a home visit 
  • Keep an eye on any updates from the Government, read the guidance on social distancing to keep two metres between yourself and our colleagues and wash your hands regularly
  • Look for updates on our website and social media

There are a number of local organisations who will be coordinating support to those most affected. If you are able to, we encourage any donations to the Dacorum Food Bank. Additionally, Community Action Dacorum will be coordinating volunteers. You can contact them at volunteering@communityactiondacorum.org.uk

Please be patient and bear with us. We will try to provide you with the best service we can throughout this disruption.

Contact us

If you need to speak to someone about paying your rent and don’t know who your Income Officer is, please call 01442 228000 and ask to speak for Housing Income, or email housing.income@dacorum.gov.uk

If you need to speak to someone about your tenancy and don’t know who your Tenancy Officer is, please call 01442 228000 and ask for Housing Management, or email housing@dacorum.gov.uk.