Supporting the Armed Forces
A career in the Armed Forces can significantly affect your daily life as well as the lives of your family members. As a result, we recognise that the Armed Forces community is in need of considerable support. In 2011, we signed the Hertfordshire Community Covenant to demonstrate our commitment to providing our Armed Forces affiliated residents with guidance and support when it is required.
Dacorum Armed Forces Day - Saturday 29 June 2019
Come and join us in the beautiful surroundings of Gadebridge Park, Hemel Hempstead, as Dacorum marks Armed Forces Day on Saturday 29 June between 11am and 3pm.
We aim to bring the community together in commemoration of those that are, or have been, involved with the Armed Forces.
There will be an exciting programme of free entertainment, including the IMPS Motorcycle Team, the Eastbourne Youth Field Gun Team and the Revelations Majorettes. There will also be a Venturer Simulator, inflatables and adventure equipment for everyone to enjoy.
Visitors can expect a range of food stalls and stalls showcasing Dacorum’s vibrant community sector. The full programme will be announced shortly.
Photo credit: © UK MOD Crown Copyright 2019
Freedom Parade - Sunday 30 June 2019
Line the streets to welcome RAF Halton, who will be marching through Hemel Hempstead to exercise its right to the Freedom of the Borough.
The event will culminate in a flypast by a Lancaster bomber.
The full programme will be announced nearer the time.
First World War Centenary 2018
The community of Dacorum marked the centenary of the end of the First World War with a range of commemorative events. Find out more on our news page.
- We are committed to providing places to live for members of the Armed Forces community that want to settle locally. As long as an application for housing is made within five years of discharge, past and present Armed Forces personnel with no prior connection to the borough will qualify for our Active Register. If an application is made after five years, the case will be assessed by the housing panel. This also applies to spouses and civil partners leaving service family accommodation following the death of their spouse or partner.
- Additional priority on the register will also be given to Armed Forces personnel and their families if they have urgent housing need. If this is the case, they will receive additional points.
Further information can be found in our Housing Allocations Policy (PDF 1MB).
The Hertfordshire Community Covenant is a commitment from public and private organisations to support the active and retired Armed Forces community living and working in Hertfordshire. This includes raising the profile of the Armed Forces in Hertfordshire and celebrating and honouring the commitment and sacrifices they have made.
We've been given a bronze award from the Armed Forces Covenant Employer Recognition Scheme for our pledge to provide support to the Armed Forces community. As signatories of the Hertfordshire Community Covenant, we've promised to ensure that serving personnel, as well as service families, veterans, cadets and reservists, do not face disadvantage and are treated respectfully.
The Royal British Legion
The Royal British Legion is an Armed Forces charity with branches all over the country that meet to provide support and care to servicemen and women and to honour the bravery of the forces. There is a branch in Hemel Hempstead that meets every third Tuesday of the month and one for Berkhamsted and Tring that meets every second Tuesday of the month.
For young people looking for fun and adventure with a military theme, there are two Army Cadet Force detachments in Hemel Hempstead and Berkhamsted.
Relate Dacorum, Watford and Three Rivers
Relate is a registered charity that provides relationship support in the UK. The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund has selected it to provide relationship support for RAF personnel, their partners and families.
Armed Forces and veterans' breakfast clubs
The Watford and Hemel Military Veterans Breakfast Club is a group of current and previous service members that meet every second Sunday of the month to socialise over breakfast. After leaving the Armed Forces, service personnel can feel very isolated due to the considerable difference between civilian life and the life that they have grown used to. The club aims to unite these people and provide them with support, as well as the opportunity to mix with like-minded people.
Anyone with a link to the Armed Forces is welcome to join - this includes the Royal Air Force, the Royal Navy and the British Army. For more information, please email Emlyn Parry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hemel Hempstead Armed Forces and Veterans Breakfast Club meets at the Full House, Hemel Hempstead, at 9.30am on every third Sunday of the month.
Founded in 1883, Armed Forces charity SSAFA offers practical, emotional and financial support for serving personnel, veterans and their families. Also eligible for assistance are reservists and anyone who has completed national service.
All SSAFA caseworkers are trained volunteers who visit families in their homes. If you are in need of assistance, you can contact the Dacorum Division, which is one of five SSAFA divisions in Hertfordshire.
The SSAFA is also always looking for new volunteers (you do not have to have served in the Armed Forces to volunteer). Please get in touch using the contact details below:
- Combat Stress and PTSD Resolution are both charities committed to providing support to those in the Armed Forces community suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression or anxiety.
Armed Forces discounts
- Arriva, Centrebus, Metroline and Uno buses all offer discounted services within Hertfordshire as part of the Proud to Support scheme. Further details can be found on the Hertfordshire Heroes website.
- Rewards For Forces has a selection of online and in-store discounts for members of the Armed Forces and their partners. Registration is free of charge.
- The Defence Discount Service is the official Ministry of Defence discount service. It offers a membership card that Armed Forces personnel can use online or take into selected high street shops/restaurants to get a discount.