We're proud to unveil a new flagship housing development, to be built close to the centre of Hemel Hempstead within the next two years.
We're committed to improving our offer of affordable rented housing in the area and have acquired a large piece of land at Paradise Fields, St Albans Road, Hemel Hempstead from Homes England to accommodate three new low-rise apartment blocks.
Building on our previous award-winning development schemes, we aim to deliver superior quality affordable accommodation for families who are most in need of housing.
The Paradise Fields development will accommodate new apartments, comprising a mix of one- and two-bed accommodation, communal parking and landscaped garden facilities.
The apartments will be modern, energy efficient and based on a ‘Fabric First’ approach, to ensure that families remain comfortable throughout the year.
The design of the development also respects the existing external environment and includes carefully designed landscaping that will encourage existing wild habitats to continue to thrive and flourish in their natural environment.
We have acquired land within the red boundary shown in the map. The development of the affordable housing is proposed on the land identified as ‘Housing Site’.
There are no current proposals to develop the land identified as ‘Northern Site’. The ‘Wildlife Site’ will remain as it is now - a wonderful open space, very popular with walkers.
Councillor Margaret Griffiths, Deputy Leader of the Council and Portfolio Holder for Housing, said: “Over the past five years, we have delivered hundreds of new homes to meet housing need across the borough. Paradise Fields is a prime town centre
site that will enable more local families to enjoy a home they can be proud of. We are delighted that this purchase will also secure the future of a much-valued green open space for all to enjoy.”
Questions and answers
Why are we building Paradise Fields?
In recent years, there has been increased demand for new, high-quality, rented accommodation in the Hemel Hempstead area. We are at the forefront of providing social rented housing in the area for those in the greatest need and are committed to providing
new housing to meet this demand.
The Paradise Fields site has been identified as having adequate capacity for high-density housing and is situated close to St Albans Road and the town centre.
Its close proximity to the major road and rail links makes it an ideal location for much-needed housing in the area.
What are we building?
There will be up to 58 apartments in three separate blocks, including:
- A mix of one- and two-bed apartments.
- Generous living space and private balconies.
- A number of ground floor apartments designed for wheelchair use.
- Central communal areas incorporating stairs, lifts, entrance lobbies and refuse stores.
- A landscaped formal garden area in the centre of the development that links to the existing Paradise Fields wild flower meadow to the north of the site.
- Adequate parking and electric vehicle charging facilities to meet future demand.
- Green energy utility solutions for heating and hot water supplies.
- Sustainable external drainage systems.
When will Paradise Fields be completed?
The development proposals will be submitted as a planning application in 2020 and (subject to approval), work is scheduled to be completed during 2023.
What are the benefits?
- A high-quality, energy-efficient housing scheme that meets modern housing standards.
- A development that is situated close to the town centre and major links to the existing rail and road infrastructure.
- A development designed to improve the health and wellbeing of families living in the community.
- Professionally designed communal garden areas that contribute to the public realm.
- A sustainable development that enhances the environment.
- A design that helps us meet our desire for zero-carbon developments in the future.
- A development that assists us in our continued commitment to meet the social housing need in the area.